Friday, December 23, 2016

Some of the happiest moments of my life have been at Waitrose. I was recently asked where I would like my ashes to be scattered. I couldn't think of anywhere other than Waitrose.


(Return of the Mack) Come on
(Return of the Mack) Oh my God!
(You know that I'll be back) Here I am
(Return of the Mack) Once again
(Return of the Mack) Top of the world!
(Return of the Mack) Watch my flow
(You know that I'll be back) Here I go

Hi guys! So, ah, it's been a little while, right? It's okay though because, like my man Mark Morrison there, I'M BACK TO RUN THE SHOW. I took an unintentional blogging break for a month or so - not that long in the scheme of things, and I'm sure not long enough for anyone to have been sending out the search parties or anything, like, but it's been the longest that I haven't blogged since I first started writing here in 2009. 

Nothing's wrong. Well, EVERYTHING is wrong... I mean, look at the fucking world right now. Nothing is wrong with me, though. Between one thing and another, I just haven't been feeling it. It's partly because the world has been so dark and scary that blogging dresses and Made In Chelsea gifs just didn't feel right. It's partly that life has been busier and harder over the last few months than it has been in a fair while. Not bad, you know, just...hard. Grown-up. Work stuff, family stuff. You know the drill. It's things that we all have to deal with at various points in our lives. Anyway, it's the Christmas holidays now and the pace has slowed down a bit, so it felt like time to check in. Also I can show you a few things that I've made and not blogged because it didn't seem like they warranted their own blog posts.

Here's one of them...

Stella dress - Vogue V8998 bodice and pleated skirt

It's another V8998 in that gorgeous starry wax cotton. I've made two of these before - the original Bedelia dress, which is now too big, and the Diva Lady dress. I made this dress in October, on a weekend when Nic was away in Guildford at a conference. I was having a stressful time and didn't make things any better for myself by spending pretty much the whole weekend holed up in my flat sewing and watching all of Black Mirror and The Fall. Yeah that shit will fuck with your head pretty comprehensively. Stella, though.

#QUEEN

Anyway, so there really wasn't anything to say about the sewing of the dress, as I have made it so many times already and I have used the fabric before. I love it a lot and I've worn it often - which I knew I would, as I wore the Bedelia dress repeatedly before it. The Stella dress had its first outing to London, when I wore it to eat pizza, drink gin and go to that Dean Strang and Jerry Buting event with my friend Kate. I think Stella herself would be into that sort of activity, although I suspect she'd be more of a whisky drinker than a gin drinker. 

I wore another dress that weekend, which I haven't blogged. It's this one:

Catastrophe dress - Christine Haynes Emery dress in Cath Kidston 'Paradise Flowers' fabric, worn with Irregular Choice Windsor shoes

So, it's another Cath Kidston barkcloth Emery dress. It's exactly the same as the Cobblepot dress and the Favour Royal dress. I've worn it probably twice as much as the other two though because I just love the print so damn much. Mostly I have worn it with pink tights and some lovely navy Chelsea boots that I bought in the autumn:


Here's me the day after the Dean and Jerry thing. Nic and I stayed in a lovely hotel in Shoreditch and had a lovely Monday off work pottering around London. We had brunch, went to the Tate Modern, bought records (him) and Tatty Devine jewellery (me) and had an early dinner in Dishoom before heading back up to Leamington.


Since then, I have had reduced sewing time as work kicked into 'peak delivery period', which means lots and lots of all-day meetings and a significant amount of time in London. I made a couple of baby dresses for various friends' baby daughters and I spent a bit of time figuring out a dress to make to wear to a wedding that we had been invited to last weekend. I started with a wearable toile of modified Elisalex dress...

I still haven't thought of a name for this one! I do really like it though. The fabric is some mystery fabric that I bought in Birmingham rag market a few years ago.

I had an idea in my head for dress that was going to be an Elisalex bodice with a gathered tulip skirt in a green brocade, and this was my starting point. After making this, I decided a slight FBA was in order, which I did and tried out like so:

Fleshmarket Close dress - modified By Hand London Elisalex dress in wax cotton that I bought in Paris in 2014. The mirror selfie is taken in my office toilets...you can see this a fair bit if you follow me on instagram! 

So, I had the fit where I wanted it and I had the idea. I even had the accessories. Sadly, though, I couldn't find the perfect fabric. Luckily, I had a Plan B. As we were going to the wedding of two film studies friends - friends who met and fell in love in the same film studies department as Nic and I had, and as our friends Lauren and Rick had, I made a film studies dress:

Cinematic dress - Vogue V8998 bodice (again!) and a circle skirt, in celluloid-print wax cotton that I bought in Amsterdam's Noordemarkt. The clutch bag is Tatty Devine and it's actually a water bottle cover, but it works perfectly as an evening bag. The bride is also a gin drinker so she liked this touch.

I had to sew this up pretty quickly and, having lost a teeny bit of weight recently - which mainly seems to go from my upper chest and not my waist or bust or anywhere useful - the fit is a wee bit off. Still, I really love this dress and it seemed like a really good way to use the fabric and celebrate three happy love stories arising from the film studies department at Warwick! I might blog this one properly at some point as it would be good to get some proper photos of it. 

I also used the leftovers to make a dress for our little film studies baby, Audrey Rae:

This is a terrible 'artistic' photo of Audrey on my knee. That's her little hand and her little foot. She is seven weeks old and she looked awesome in the dress, which made it less awkward that we were both wearing the same thing. One of us had to get changed partway through the evening due to an explosive poo incident. I'm not telling you which one.

That's the sewing craic. TV-wise, Nic and I caught up with the current run of Made in Chelsea on our rewatch, which means that we watched 12 seasons of Made in Chelsea in about three months. I think it's fundamentally changed Nic's view of the world, and it's introduced new words into his vocabulary. We picked up a few extra crime shows - Happy Valley and Wallander (the Swedish one, although I am blatantly going to watch the Branagh one when I get the chance) and we've belatedly become a bit obsessed with Gogglebox. This one is my dad's fault, as he introduced us to it while we were in Northern Ireland at the end of November. I think it's really enjoyable, I genuinely love Mr Siddiqui and I think Leon might be my elderly Liverpudlian alter-ego:

lol it is me

And that's all from me. It's good to be back, at least to say farewell to 2016 and to look forward to ruling over 2017. See you then!