Tuesday, February 23, 2016

I blacked out after Goldman's eyes popped out of his sockets. Believe me, you can't unsee that.

Hello boys and girls, whasssssup?! What is up here is that I have had a long day and I am tired. It was shaping up to be a busy day anyway, and then it all went a bit mad after lunch. Everything is in hand now, and it's all good but tonight is all about pyjamas and comfort food, I think!

Things are pretty good at the moment. I don't have as much time to blog as I would like as work is keeping me very busy. Still - my new job officially starts on Monday, so that's cool! My day to day job will change a bit - in the shorter term, until my replacement starts, I'll be continuing to do my current job as well as the additional responsibilities of my new role. I'll have another project to be responsible for so at the moment I'm trying to get my head around that too. It's all a bit full-on! It's good, though. It occurred to me the other morning that there isn't a single area of my life in which I feel dissatisfied at the moment. I mean, yeah, I'd like to have more volume in my hair, but I can't really count that as a source of dissatisfaction. I know it might not always be like this - everyone experiences trying times - but it's a good place to be in and I am trying to savour it. I mean, there are brand new episodes of The X-Files. WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE.



It's easy to feel that way when spring is nearly here. Although it is still very cold, I am appreciating the longer, occasionally sunny days. I have tentatively started to unpack some of my spring clothes but I'm not totally foolhardy: it's still definitely coat weather. I have a lovely new coat, though - one that I bought in the Collectif sale on a trip to London at the weekend:


A nautical coat! I'll probably only have a few more weeks of wearing it before I pack it away until the autumn, but I guess this is the best time of year to buy a winter coat. ALSO LOOK AT IT. How could I not?!

I've been squeezing in sewing when I can, although it is more difficult to find time to get photos of finished items. Here's something from a few weeks ago now - a cardigan and a dress:

Miette cardigan by Andi Satterlund

Heeeey, it's another Miette cardigan. Now that I have sorted out my difficulty with the raglan shaping, I've been loving the Miette pattern. I have a blue one that's nearly finished - I'm on my second sleeve. The yarn is more Malabrigo worsted and the colour is called Sauterne. I bought the wooden buttons and the yarn from Wool Warehouse. 

Despite having knit two yellow cardigans in the last few years, this did fill a gap in my wardrobe. My first one - a yellow Agatha cardigan - is a bit too big, and I ended up not really wearing my yellow Audrey in Unst as it was a bit more drapey than I wanted it to be (I should wear that more, though, because the colour of it is so lovely). I've worn this cardigan a fair bit since I finished it - the bright, warm yellow is surprisingly flattering.


I think it looks pretty good unbuttoned, as well! My little bee charm comes from Berylune

As I was finishing the cardigan, I bought a Bernie Dexter dress cheap on ebay. It was originally a halterneck dress - the same style as this one. I just can't do halterneck dresses, though, even with a ridiculously scaffolded strapless bra - and I have one of those! The knot in the straps always ends up dragging on my neck and giving me a horrible headache, and I'm not convinced that they suit me. I knew that it would be easy to convert this dress into a strappy sundress, though, so that's what I did:

Altered Bernie Dexter daisy swing dress, worn with Swedish hasbeens peep-toe sandals

Ignore the fact that my face looks goofy as shit in this photo (I'm not sure WTF was happening the day we took these photos...but, there we are) and look at the dress. So, okay, the fit is definitely not perfect but whatever. It's grand for RTW, I think! This dress is unlined but it has a wide facing around the top of the bodice. I unpicked the straps completely and moved them in at the front - straps for a halter neck dress generally seem to be set a bit wider than if the straps are stitched down at the back - then I got Nic's help in pinning them to the right places at the back of the bodice to cover my bra straps. I unpicked openings in the facings at these points, fed the straps through and then stitched it closed underneath so that no stitching shows on the outside. All in all it took about half an hour. 


It made a nice, quick and satisfying sewing project last month when it was cold and dark and I was in London the whole time. I'm pretty happy with it and if I spot a similar dress going cheap I'll consider doing it again.

So that's the craic there. I am going to mosey on here now because I'm tired and I'm in danger of starting to babble. I've finished a few great projects over the last two weeks though so I will be back soon. Goodnight now!