Monday, January 18, 2016

Well, it's the first time I have used that particular chart actually. I got it free with a promotional crate of Carlsberg.

Hello everyone! I hope that this blue Monday hasn't been too blue for everyone. Mine has mainly been a tired Monday - I had a very intense week at work last week where I had to stay in London for a few nights and work on Saturday, and I am sort of catching up with myself as a result. I don't often have to stay away from home for work and I try to make the most of it when I do - but this past week it was too exhausting to do much apart from order room service and watch trashy TV in my pyjamas. I was very glad to get home on Saturday night.

This week is going to be just as busy but at least I'll have my whole weekend to myself. Also, I am feeling in a celebratory mood: I had an interview for a promotion at work today and I got it! The job is maternity cover for my line manager, so it's a temporary promotion for 14 months. It's a good step up for me and will be good experience, so I am pretty happy with myself at the moment - although I was too tired to do much in the way of celebrating apart from having a quick gin and tonic with Nic on my way home from work. Still though. It's a nice way to start 2016!

I haven't been sewing because work has been so busy - my sewing machine isn't going to see any love until this weekend - but I do have something I sewed during my christmas break to blog about.

So, long-term readers might remember this, but in March 2013 I sewed a By Hand London Elisalex dress from this beautiful Michael Miller fabric:

Wing Song by Michael Miller

I really loved that dress and, when it didn't fit any more, I took it apart and refashioned it. Now, sadly, that dress is also too big and I didn't have the heart to take it apart a second time. The fabric has also faded a bit. I missed this print in my wardrobe though, so I bought two more metres of it and made another Emery dress.

Feckarse Industries dress - Christine Haynes Emery dress bodice with a pleated skirt, worn with Vivienne Westwood for Melissa shoes

It felt a little bit extravagant to buy the exact same fabric again, especially as I am going to hold onto my the original (refashioned) iteration of the dress - for sentimental reasons - but I am glad I did it. One of the great joys of being able to sew is being able to make just what you want to, and this is just what I wanted to make. I love the combination of colours in this dress and the creepy little birds. The print is a winner, basically. 


The original dress was named the Feckin' Birds dress, in tribute to an episode of Father Ted

Fully crow-resistant

For the updated version, it seemed like a good idea to stick with that theme:

Chart provided by Slovakia's premier lens manufacturers

Basically, as I get older, I get closer and closer to the person I am going to ultimately become:


I'm okay with that, to be honest.

So that's the craic there anyway. I'll leave you with one more photo (because, fuck it, why not) and then I'm away. I am really tired and all I want to do now is chill out watch an episode of some kind of cop drama.

FECK! ARSE! DRINK! GIRLS!