Wednesday, December 30, 2015

I do admire Wonka; he is a true capitalist. His factory has zero government regulation, slave labour and an indoor boat. Wonderful.

Evening all! It's been a windy, rainy, chilly Wednesday and I haven't left the house today at all. It's not something I'd like to do every day, but every so often it's good to not have to engage with anyone other than Nic. It means that I have zero craic though, so sorry about that! It has been a good day, though. I finished a dress - probably the last one of 2015 unless I take a notion to sew tomorrow - and, well, that's been about it really.

Luckily, although I have no craic at all, I do still have some dresses to blog about. This evening it's one I made on Sunday in a pleasing bout of post-Christmas activity. The real star of this particular dress is the fabric, which I bought a few weeks ago from The Village Haberdashery:


The fabric is 'Regatta Border' by Michael Miller and I think it's currently out of stock - I bought it as soon as Annie listed it on their website - but I believe they'll be getting some back in before too long. Anyway - as soon as I saw it on the Village Haberdashery instagram I bought 2.5 metres to make myself a nautical border-print dress - much like I did last year when I bought Michael Miller flamingo border-print fabric and made the Nora dress

The only thing for this fabric was going to be a dress that would show it off, so naturally enough I decided to sew another Emery dress. It really is my favourite pattern for when I want the fabric to really be the star of the show. I knew that the shape of the bodice would work well with the striped portion of the fabric and the gathered skirt would really show off the beautiful boat-print section. So on Sunday afternoon, off I went!

Precious Things dress - Christine Haynes Emery dress in Michael Miller 'Regatta Border' fabric, worn with Swedish hasbeens Frederica sandals

I spent a little bit of time on the pattern placement before I cut the bodice out as I wanted to make sure that I'd be able to match the stripes at both the side seams and across the centre back. I did do that but I didn't get any photographs of it so you'll just have to trust me! I wanted to use the narrower stripes for the bodice so that there'd be some graduation in width down to the skirt. Ideally, I might have had a slightly wider band of navy across the top of the skirt so that the stripes flowed a bit more naturally but I didn't have quite enough fabric to do that. In any case, that would have affected the length of the skirt, which I think is pretty much spot-on, so it's all good.

Here are those little boats!

I ended up with just enough fabric to make this dress as I wanted it and to match the stripes at side and centre back seams. I had a moment where I thought that I didn't have enough fabric for the full gathered skirt that I wanted and, of course, with a print like this, pattern tetris just isn't possible! However, it all worked out perfectly and I really love the finished dress.


I had to cut the whole thing on the cross-grain in order to have the stripes running horizontally like this. It shouldn't give a closer fit: the cross-grain generally has slightly more stretch than the straight, but I have found that it does often give a slightly closer fit in the bodice and I'm not sure why. The bodice on this dress doesn't feel too tight (and fit is a personal thing anyway) but the fit around the bust is definitely different to when the bodice is cut on the straight grain.

Anyway, that's boring. Fit waffling notwithstanding, you can be sure that I will wear the shit out of this dress. Despite the fact that I had planned to wear something else on Tuesday (a dress completed in 2015 that now has missed its chance to be photographed this year) I tried this dress on in the morning and didn't want to take it off! Tuesday was a very mild and pleasant day, and I wore this dress to go for a good long walk and a pub lunch with Nic. Hey don't be worried though: I wore a cardigan AND a coat. Those bare arms were for photographs only.


This dress looks fab with my navy Hetty cardigan: happy days! It was definitely worth having to knit that shit three times.

This is the cool thing about sewing, though, and it's the thing that never stops being awesome: you can make exactly what you want. Before I knew how to sew, I would have been seriously hanging out for a dress like this (see my 'Sailor Dresses of Dreams' pinterest board for evidence) so it is a major thrill to be able to make one myself. YEAAAH BOI.

I know this is like the fifth time I have used this gif but I don't even care. BENTON FIST PUMP.

I can't foresee a time when I'm going to become tired of slightly nautical-themed dresses (currently lurking some of that Robert Kaufman anchor-print chambray with dreams of it becoming a shirt-dress) so I am very happy with this dress. I look forward to wearing it in the spring, when it's going to look a bit more appropriate to the weather!

KNEES!

So anyway lads, I'll be back tomorrow with my Christmas party dress and a little 2015 round-up. See you then!