Tuesday, November 10, 2015

It doesn’t matter how long you’ve lived in New York. It’s still fun to look up and pretend all the buildings are giant severed robot penises.

Hello everyone! What's happening? Everything is grand with me, if a little bit on the busy side. It's okay, though. I kind of like it being busy on these dark autumn days, mainly because it stops me from feeling too blue about the cold weather. I had a very busy week last week, as I was in Glasgow for work for most of it. I was at a conference, which was interesting and exhausting, and in the evenings I made sure to try to get out and see some of Glasgow, as that wasn't possible during the day. I spent Wednesday evening with my friends Hattie and Lauren, and on Thursday evening I went to a gin bar with some lovely sewing bloggers. It was a lot of fun - the bar (Gin 71) was beautiful and the company was fabulous.

Gin 71 - thank you to Amy, Nuala, Elise and Elaine for coming out to meet me and for being such wonderful company, and to Kerry for organising!

I hope to make it back to Glasgow in the not-too-distant future. There are lots more gins on that menu that I want to try, and you can't beat the friendliness of the locals. It was a really good trip and I even managed to get some knitting done on the train journey. Happy days!

So that's the craic there. It's been a great few weeks and I've finished some cracking sewing and knitting projects. I just need to get organised to blog them. So here's one of them and - surprise surprise - it's a dress!

The craic with this is that I found some more lovely Cath Kidston fabric on eBay. The design is called 'Oxford Rose', I think, and they have a dress made out of it that looks like this:


So, that's pretty nice. It's £75 though, and after getting stuck in a Cath Kidston dress the week before last, I am giving this one the side-eye. It wasn't this dress - it was a shift dress - but it was the sleeves that caught me as they were SUPER tight. It was seriously not my best moment, because I had to get the girl working behind the counter to help me out of the dress, which didn't have a zip. NO. BUENO.

Anyway, the fabric. It's beautiful. I think the print is gorgeous and the fabric is a high-quality medium-weight cotton. Also, I bought it on eBay and it was only £12 per metre. Boom. Naturally enough, I wanted to make an Emery dress with it.

Copenhagen dress - Christine Haynes Emery dress with a pleated skirt, worn with Swedish hasbeens peep-toe sandals

I bought two metres of the fabric, which is 157cm wide. I had enough to make the dress with sleeves if I wanted to, but I didn't. I did self-line the bodice though, because I think it looks really nice when you can do that. Also it made it a little bit easier to use the lace zip that I happened to have in my stash...


This is the same sort of zip as the one I sewed in my Charmed Life dress, and I got it at Berylune. I still have quite a few of them, as I bought one in every colour, so you'll probably see a few more around here before too long. 

As the fabric is reasonably weighty, I opted to pleat the skirt rather than gather it. I think it looks really elegant and although clearly I am a massive derp, I love the dress a ridiculous amount and think that it looks very mid-century stylish. Maybe I am deluded, but fuck it. I love my dress.


I have so little now to say about the Emery pattern, it's ridiculous, but I think it's the perfect pattern to show off a beautiful fabric. It does this admirably with this dress. I wore it a few weeks ago, when I had the pleasure of spending the day with Tasha and her spouse, Mel, Jane, Emmie, Karen and Marie in London. It was a really lovely day with good friends, and my dress got lots of compliments. So that was cool!

With Tasha and Jane... photo shamlessly robbed from Marie's instagram. Thanks, Marie!

By an amazing stroke of luck, my sister Kelly was also in London that day, and we managed to sneak in a few cocktails in central London before I had to take the train back up to Leamington. 

Kelly would want me to tell you that she doesn't normally look as creepy as this.

So, yeah. I do form emotional connections with my clothes and this dress has lots of happy memories already. That's always a good feeling. And I did not get stuck in this dress and that's a good feeling, too. Because Cath seriously, you have some great prints and all, but those sleeves are ridiculous. My arms are perfectly proportionate. But yeah thanks for giving the girl in the shop the chance to see me in my pants. Thanks.


Right, so thats the craic there. I'm going to head off now and do a little bit of sewing. Here's one more picture of the dress - I had to ditch today's first photo location because I was being attacked by the wind. DAMN THE WIND. DAMN ALL THE WIND.

I may be smiling, but I'm raging inside.

CLACKETT OUT.